Saturday, January 20, 2007

One last ride (or rather run)

I did not actually plan to write today, but I bumped into a friend online, who was about to write another post in her blog, so I guess I got temporarily interested again, merely by association. Having decided on that, I also actually wanted to write something serious today, due to the events of the past week. But what the hell, I would rather write about something that I like that use that chance to get back at someone.

Anyway, back on topic. In less that a week, I will be lining up at a race. Probably the last official race representing my school. That statement sure sounds depressing, and the setting of this race will back that up. To be exact, I will be lining up at a location far away from home base, shivering because of the early morning cold, eyes squinting at the surroundings, lest a foot gets twisted even before the race starts. This is my date with destiny, this is how I always envisioned my most crucial race yet will be.

As cliched as it sounds, I feel like a man possessed this past few weeks preparing for this. School seems like a blur, and no, I am not saying I blank out during lessons. It is like whatever happens in school, like school orders, politics etc, does not matter anymore. School activities outside of lessons become insignificant, and I am prepared to flout the rules with abandon. All that I have in my mind's eye is that single crucial race.

To overdramaticise, it will be the definitive point in my career as a school runner. Whatever I did before, which is not much, will not matter anymore. It will be my redemption for my mediocrity, or it could be the nail that seals my failure. Whatever the fallout, I have never felt such hunger.

I have always been a dreamer, but I hope for once, this dream will not turn into a nightmare.

No comments: