Saturday, June 06, 2009

26ks of Hell

I have been slacking a lot, in terms of both blogging and running. Come tomorrow, I will have to face the consequences of doing so in running. While you can argue there's nothing special in that, since I have been slacking for quite some time, this is no ordinary race. This 26k monster over rolling and often poorly maintained roads is not to be trifled with. I learned that the hard way last year, when I headed in also in quite a poor state. I was then rewarded with the most painful run of my life, suffering from cramps (a first while running), painful feet, and most frighteningly a chilly feeling throughout my body. At that time, I seriously thought I was going to be in serious trouble.

Less than a year on, I hope things won't turn out that bad again. Fitness-wise, I think I am ok. Unfortunately, endurance is my main worry this time around. This might not make sense since I said I am fitter, but the fact is I have not done any sufficiently long runs, with the longest clocking in at around 30mins on the treadmill a few days ago. For a race expected to last about 2 hours, that is woefully inadequate.

Having said all that, all I am hoping for is just to come back in one piece. Hopefully, my knees, and shins and feet will hold up. If I come through ok, then I will be satisfied as this race is only a prep of sorts for the upcoming battles...

No comments: