Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sky hath no fury

I actually planned to take a longer break, but a force of nature like no other jarred me out from my hiatus. I am going to write about a natural phenomenon that has become increasingly common of late, thunderstorms. As if following a predetermined celestial timetable, massive rainstorms have dutifully taken the place of the previously ubiquitous haze. And like its annoying predecessor, the thunderstorms has disrupted my daily intake of outdoor sports, though it is more deadly than annoying.

Anyway, I thought I will only be affected by the presence of thunder. Well, today I stand corrected. The mere inkling that it was about to strike was enough to rob me of a session of training. Like a master conman, it has been planning its coup since early afternoon, with its usual cohorts, the clouds and rain in tow.

The plan was genius in its simplicity, for they knew the mere presence of some dark clouds will be enough to cause consternation. Jeremy was sufficiently concerned to push forward our planned training session by half an hour. As if to underline its capricious nature, the intermittent thunder gave way to blistering sunlight halfway through our workout, then came back on again to usher us out of the training ground. To future compound the illusion, the conspirators threw in some light drizzle for good measure. I was really looking forward to another long run with another group of runners, but the ominous sounds of distant thunder did what the light rain could not, so I decided to play football instead. Suffice to say, my projected half hour of football was extended to one and a half hours by the distinct lack of rain and lightning.

On another remotely related note, the people who set our MUET listening component questions got it spot on. Turns out that the info we got from that pompous voice might come in handy in these thunderous times after all.

No comments: