Friday, February 01, 2008

Long(ish) run

In my quest to be at least a decent runner, I am ever willing to try out new training plans. However, there is more or less a constant in my training, my Friday runs.

After a week of mostly treadmill or field runs, Friday will be the day I step down to the roads, weather and mood permitting. Friday runs are also my longest runs, which doesn't happen for the sake of it. The real reason behind this is that I will be running with the group I represent, the O2 Hiking Team. I am not the type that likes to plod along for hours at a snails pace, I get bored, plain and simple. So after a week of training by my lonesome self, I use the opportunity of training with my teammates to push myself to longer distances. Nevertheless, my so called long runs are still only about 10 or 11 km, which is still waaaaaay too short. Anyhow, one step at a time.

Today's weather looked a bit dreary and I could feel the damp air. Needless to say, the gloomy weather did nothing to help lift my already unmotivated spirits. However a quick reminder to my inner self that sunny, uplifting weather will only result in mid-run thirst and suffering soon rectified matters.

While the O2 gang usually start at the Botanical Gardens, I usually increased my run distance by running to the gardens and then continuing on. On my way there, I saw that a few of them were already well on their way. I stuck to my plan though, as I really need to do more mileage. The plan called for a round of the uphill sections inside the gardens in addition to the usual small round. Running that uphill part was bound to be hard, even for someone with fresh legs and I braced myself for the torrent of negative thoughts that will flow through my mind. Surprisingly, the bombardment never came, and I just flowed through that climb with surprising lack of pain. Of course, the cool weather might have something to do with that. Still, my confidence was boosted, and I increased my effort.

The next stretch out of the gardens, was all flat, at least until the Youth Park. Even so, the hardest hill part was behind me. The hills facing me next were not so much one big difficult climb as they were a multitude of small climbs, annoying ones. I managed to keep my rhythm, which was important in managing the hills. Pretty soon, I strode through my run, such was the apparent ease. So much so that on my return trip, I felt good enough and motivated enough to push hard. This was completely different to most of my previous runs, where my last minute pushes were more of forced efforts.

After finishing the run, I did 5 hill charges with one of the faster guys on the team. Overall, a very solid training day.

No comments: