Friday, July 04, 2008

New Life, New Place, New Race

I spent the past week holed up with about 2100 fellow newbie undergrads at the sprawling USM campus. While initially filled with trepidation, the huge and intimidating grounds gradually shrunk and felt more like home. Of course, getting lost is still part of the daily itinerary, but in a perverse way, it's kinda fun too. I bet even the seniors don't fully know the ins and outs of the place 100%, so I guess for us freshies it's forgivable. The grounds might be impressive and the facilities more than adequate, but the best part about getting into university is meeting new people. No joke. There are seriously some colourful characters even in my hostel. As for the girls, I am still thanking the heavens for the sheer number of attractive young females present. Who said a guy/girl ratio of 30/70 is a bad thing?

Of course this is already the weekend, and I was among the fortunate few who reside in Penang, which means I get to go home fairly often. For this weekend however, there will not be much homely respite. I will be leaving for Ipoh tomorrow. It will be my first time taking running in the Ipoh International Run, and the interruption to training because of my orientation week is definitely a concern for me in tackling the 21ks. Regardless, these are exciting times, and hopefully this buoyant feeling I have now will be an adequate substitute for the loss of training. Of course, I cannot fail, since my big mouth told quite a few people about this trip. So for my ego among my uni mates, and for my own self belief, let's hope I achieve a breakthrough.

Anyway, whatever happens, this has been a week for many firsts.

No comments: