Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Nocturnal drama

I have been experiencing some nightmares these past few days. Well ok, maybe not exactly nightmares, at least not in the conventional psycho horror movie type, but they were disturbing to me in a funny kind of way.

It started about 2 nights ago. The setting seemed normal, nothing out of this world or dimension, just your typical boring daytime Penang. For seasoned dreamers though, most will know that the more mundane a dream is, the more ominous it will turn out to be. That's well and obvious when you are reflecting on it wide awake. Unfortunately, I was in the usual catatonic mental state induced by slumber and logic processes would have made Salvador Dali proud. Like in many previous pseudo-nightmares before, I was suckered into tagging along for the ride.

The first dream was about me returning to school, despite not knowing for what purpose. One moment I was blissful stupor, the next I found myself standing outside the classroom I took my STPM in. Turns out that I wasn't alone, all my friends were there too. No one really knew why until someone mentioned that we were supposed to take a Chinese exam, which really got me panicking. Fortunately, my heart didn't have the chance to beat dangerously hard for this dream ended immediately afterwards.

Respite wasn't exactly the order of the day though, as I was bombarded by the sequel, err prequel, ermm reimagining perhaps? I just don't know how to define it. It was about me preparing for another STPM paper. Yup this paper was, drumrolls please, Chinese. Oh I was doing some last minute preparation, as in 1 hour before the start, and get this, I was at home. How the hell do dreams really work anyhow? That must be the most unrealistic plotline ever. No way in hell will I be caught at home 1 hour before an exam, and so will most of my fellow exam sufferers too, unless their house is next door to the school. Anyway enough of the digression, the images of me studying my 'Ming Ju' and idioms really seemed like old footage from the SPM era, retouched with cutting age CGI of course. Half an hour before the exam, I finally realise I have to be at the exam centre to actually take the exam and frantically gets Mum to drive me to school. Whaddaya know, the dreaded worse case scenario happened on the way, Penang killer traffic jams, leaving me late.

Thankfully there was no more similar dreams following that. The next night, last night, did throw up another drama though. This time around, the dream was really similar to the first one, down to the appearing outside the classroom and seeing friends details. The subject was different though it was equally outside the scope of what I really did study for the STPM. The subject of the night turned out to be Bahasa Malaysia, which didn't really induce as much fear, which is possibly why the dream didn't stop there and then. I managed to grope around my bag for my pen and pencils, and even retrieved my ID from my wallet and took my seat before the dream ended.

Now the reason I wouldn't really classify them as nightmares is because I didn't even know that they were nightmares when I was having them. I only knew they were pseudo-nightmarish upon thinking about them after waking up. Sometimes I just wish that I would dream about pretty girls all night like everyone else...

1 comment:

Rewarp said...

I had a similar dream. It was a simple question on spelling an English word. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't write the letters of the word in the correct sequence.
The teacher gave me one of those aw-what-a-cute-little-mistake smile.
That, was my nightmare.