Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Post school blues

Today I had to return to my alma mater, ostensibly to claim my leaving school certificate. In addition it seemed like a good opportunity to catch up with some of my old teammates and hand over something to my friend. With that thought in mind, I woke up at about 7 am to slightly ominous weather. Regardless, I was hopeful that I might be able to sneak in a run.

After mum dropped me off, I proceeded to wander around the school premises, who knows what interesting happenings one can bump into on a bleak school break morning. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out as planned and the bleak weather complemented the sleepy atmosphere. I did bump into one of my friends, Jupes, and he did waaaaay better than any of the notices present, or rather absent, in telling me where & when the cert collection is on. Apparently, I was early by about 2 hours as the typically unorthodox school administration decided to start at 10 am. Whatever happened to standard operating hours? Maybe they foresaw the rainy weather and thought everyone was going to sleep in. I guess government schools are like government departments, inefficient.

That news certainly didn't lift my already dark mood, so I had to find a way to kill time. Enter Plan B, hanging out with my mates. That and also the gym room will be a whole lotta warmer. The moment I stepped into the room, I just felt a blast from the past. The teammates who showed up were still mostly the same faces. It certainly takes perseverence to train through the holidays, something which I find increasingly lacking among the incoming students. I guess our winning tradition will be dwindling to an end.

Midway through catching up and goofing around, I received a call from the friend I was supposed to meet. I had wanted to tag along with him for a morning run, but the inclement weather and other factors put paid to that. Nevertheless, we had an interesting chat. Talking with Larry will never be boring for me, because he will have an interesting take on things, and his delivery is just hilarious, no matter whether he intended it to be that way or not. Meeting up with him will also inevitably bring back a tinge of nostalgia. Memories of my time with Frenchy, yheushen, JR, and Larry will always come flooding back.

My trip down memory lane over, I trooped back to the gym, more than an hour left to kill. The other objective on my agenda, meeting my teacher/coach, was up next, just awaiting for him to arrive. And arrive he did, though he was rather late by his standards, at the tailend of the team's workout.

I managed to discuss a bit of my future training before he had to leave. With that, my whole reason for being in school this morning ended, bar the cert collection. Walking around, I managed to overhear some sleepy-eyed fellow cert collectors saying that the desk will only open at 10.30am, which will just deepen my annoyance towards the school authorities. Recent complains from some of my friends about problems in their curricular marks didn't help my mood. In the mean time, I decided not to wait beyond 10 am & called my dad to pick me up. 10 am did come and there was no sign of any collecting being done, so I left. Screw the bloody cert.

No comments: