Friday, December 28, 2007

crazy...crazier...craziest...

These past few days have been quite crazy for me, and no I am not talking about ugly Malaysian revelers. Heck, I was not even in Penang during Christmas' eve. Little did I know there was more than enough residual Christmas season craziness leftover when I did come back.

First off, I had a dinner appointment with my old Sixth Form Graduation Magazine committee, in of all places, Juru. Before your eye's fall out from surprise, we didn't go the Juru the sleepy town, we went to Juru Autocity aka the most flashy bling bling greatest gift to motorheads and petrolheads and lovers of fine dining, or at least that's what I think the people who first thought up the concept wanted it to seem. Oh, and did I mention that Juru happens to be on the other side of the pond and is located in some godforsaken place, and we had to make do with a two lane Penang Bridge. Ok to be fair that area really wasn't so bad, since it used to be heavily forested, key words being used to be. To be honest, I experienced a bit of a shock to the system when we drove into Autocity because I minute I have cars passing me by while gazing into a verdant horizon, the next moment I am looking at cars passing me by against a desert backdrop. Even wondered whether I got abducted by aliens and got transported to a different world. No kidding, passing it by while traveling on the highway is one thing, being there is another. My first impression is that I am looking at Tatooine from Star Wars, except the buildings were more 'squarish'. Which brings me to my second observation, I felt like the whole place was a gigantic toy city, what with all the super expensive sportcars and 'exuberant' look of the buildings there. Well, at least there were sportcars.

Gripes about the place aside, I was actually looking forward to meeting my old mates, that is until I forgot that my friends were not the only ones in the committee, and there were some other dates brought along too. Nothing I can do about that though, so I spent the time cracking crude jokes every chance I got. You never know when I am going to see them again, so I might as well give them enough crass humour to last them for the road.

Having survived the initial shock, I finally got a look at where we will be dining in. It appeared to be quite funky, although I still couldn't make out what kind of cuisine we will be feasting on. Blame the ignorance on faddish fine dining on the lack of money and adventurous palate. Another question immediately came to mind though, since we did travel so far for this, and that was whether the restaurant had a branch on the island. Surprisingly they do. At least, I had more time crack my jokes.

By the time we got to dig in, I had finally came to the conclusion that Sushi King isn't the only chain of Japanese restaurants available. With the question about the type of cuisine out of the way, it was time to do justice to the all you can eat package that we paid for. And eat we did, with plate after plate after plate of Japanese food heading for our table, with Ling Wei my fellow editor providing colour commentary on the prices of the food heading for our gut. All the hand to mouth action required to stuff the food must had tripped something in my brain because halfway through I did something most thinking lifeforms will not do. I chucked a dollop of green, mean wasabi into my mouth.

Jupes decided that I can't have the title as the sole insane wasabi swallowing kid and proceeded to top me by consuming an even bigger dollop. With the gauntlet thrown and more food down my throat, I accepted his challenge with 3 dollops...which he duly replied with 4. All this nostril stinging, palate killing action wasn't in vain though as we managed to establish the Wasabi Law (provisional only until we find a better name), the amount of food consumed in close proximity of wasabi is directly proportional to the degree of craziness you exhibit.

Everything must come to an end though, even nights coloured green by wasabi. The sole consolation from my exploits with the green stuff seems to be that my full stomach didn't feel so full already on the way back. Oh wait, that is supposed to be a bad thing...

1 comment:

Rewarp said...

At least the anti-food poisoning benefits were true to form...