Friday, July 28, 2006

Champion loser

If there a something that I am really, really good at, good enough to become a champion in it, it is definitely losing. Some of you who have actually read my previous posts might think, 'Wtf! Didn't this guy say he was some kind of awesome runner? Then what the hell is he talking about being best in losing???'.

Yes, I lose in running a lot, in fact I lose especially in running. Well, I am good enough to not look bad in running but not good enough to get number one, in other words, actually win. That's right, I have the impressive record of having never crossed the finish line first in a track race, and only once on the roads.

State level, district level, even school level, you name it, I have never won it.I do have a sole gold medal gleaned two weeks ago from a 4x100 relay, but in that instance I was the lead off runner, so the thing about never crossing the finish line first stands, and it was not a solo effort anyway. Oh yeah, my sole road race win wasn't exactly a road run, it was my school's hikathon up Penang Hill. and it was also shorn of all the top athletes in school that year.

My streak as a perpetual loser was supposed to end today in the 1500m, especially since I have had a relatively solid block of training behind me. But the stars conspired me, as it turns out, my advantage turned out to be my undoing, with my legs leaden and unable to respond to my teammates charge. Even the elements were against me. The storm clouds were already on the horizon this morning, but they chose to pour down in torrents just as we were lining up at the starting line. The first two laps were still okay, even though my legs were starting to get sore, but then it all started to fall apart. I found that I couldn't keep up even as my rivals were passing me, it was simply impossible to work my legs harder, my lungs wouldn't allow it. The damp air was hell for me, I felt like I was at a high altitude, and at one point I even thought my long dormant asthma was going to strike. Things were so bad that I considered doing something that has never occured to me, quit.

Enough of all the excuses, my rivals were too good, credit to them. If there was one saving grace in my dog of a day, I ran what I felt was my best 400m leg ever. It was totally unexpected, since it was on less than 30 minutes after my big tank out. I was on my school's 'B' team as the anchor, my very first time as anchor mind you, and the image of falling flat again was very much at the back of my mind. When it was my turn to carry the baton, my team were a few metres behind in last place, and lane one of the track was a big mess. I tried to keep close to the runners in front while I bide my time, all the while vowing to atone for my screw-up and half expecting my legs to fail. Surprisingly, my legs felt fine, I guess the 1500m was a good warm-up. Anyway, I managed to bridge the gap by the final corner, and was able to overtake the guy in front to grab third place.

Bronze is hardly a good consolation when you are gunning for 2 golds, but at least it will get me fired up. I just hope I will find redemption on Sunday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»