Sunday, July 23, 2006

Perspective

This post is a serious one. Should it sound funny, humourous and disrecpectful to the subject matter, I sincerely apologise.

My past post was about the passing of my running shoe. However, a recent passing of the human kind has certainly put my whining and momentary sadness in perspective.

A member of Chung Ling High School class of '05 was killed in a motor accident yesterday. In a sense he was the first among us to go. I feel this accident has given a sense of sobriety to temper the usual youthful feeling of invincibility among us young people. Death has suddenly become a possible fate that might befall us anytime, not some blurry image at the corner of the eye.

Even though I don't know the deceased personally, his death does have the impact I described on me. And from the comments I hear from my ex-schoolmates, it does impact them too. Even though I might not be back-slapping buddies with him, it is still surreal to hear of someone you have seen quite often for a long period of time (5 years) die.

I was originally going to devote today's post to the hikathon I took part in earlier today, but I was forced to take a hard look at my life. We are mortal man, anytime could be THE time. And if I am not taken by Death myself, someone else close might. This time it might be the turn of a passing acquiantance, but it might be a good friend next time, or even family. Many feel that it is not auspicious to contemplate the death of friends and family, but I emphatically disagree. Death is a real and distinct possibility nowadays, really to cast its dark shadow over us, to smother the light that is our lives.

Premature death is also very hard to take. Who knows what dreams the deceased had, dreams left unachieved. At least he won't be around to witness the shattered dreams. That is not something I can say though for his family, who have to face the anguish and disappointment.

Anyway, I want to end this by asking all the young people who are reading this to cherish your life, no matter how cliche that sounds.


R.I.P. Khoo Seng Kong, you will be in my prayers, and may your family find comfort and strength.

3 comments:

Rewarp said...

I am not trying to be morbid or funny here, nut since you just experience your first enlightenment, how would you prefer to be buried.
And you know, it's never too late to be an organ donor.

stupeed demon said...

it's not an enlightenment, it's reailty. reality biting back as cold as ice, despite us wanting to live in our very own bissful utopia. death is always there, u don't need enlightenment to know that.

as for organ donation, i plan to live until a ripe old age where i die because my organs failed me.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»