Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Bug central 2

*continued from previous post*

The meal was simple but adequate. Having sated our hunger, it was time to go. The plan was for Ju Ping to drop us off at the town bus terminal and we would get a bus to Komtar. I have to mention that this is our first time taking a bus from such an 'ulu' place. It looked simple enough when we first reached the terminal, there was only one bus that looked like it was going somewhere. Looks could be deceiving though, as we were about to find out.

To start with, the bus did not have anyone on it, and we were the first ones to board it. Having barely settled ourselves, I caught sight of an incoming bus. That was when a sudden 'kiasuness' came over me, and I quickly alighted from our bus and rushed over to the other one ala Amazing Race. Startled, my companions followed suit. Embarassingly for us, and especially me, for I was the instigator, the bus turned out to be incoming, and we were actually on the correct bus.

We rolled into the terminal, and got onto the correct bus for the second time, all the while accompanied by the sound of Shy Yan laughing her head off. Nothing more embarassing than making a mistake and having someone rub it in by laughing very hard at you. And what was my reaction? I laughed, silly as that may sound, but laughter is really the best way to cope with failure as I found out then. In a way, it really is cathartic, since I doubt this is will be my reaction a few weeks ago, I will probably sink deeper into the myre of disappointment. Looks like those dark days are behind me now.

After the earlier histrionics, the ride turned out to be uneventful...not! The route it took was curving and hill hugging. There were spots where the bus had to actually stop to allow another heavy vehicle to pass. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. At one point someone commented that it was just like travelling to Taiping, referring to the fact that the most of their classmates are making a 3 day road trip to Maxwell Hill specifically to catch bugs. In spite of the perilous road, complete with road works, I cannot help but feel drowsy.

After about 1 hour (yes, it was that long!), we reached Komtar safely, where we were to be picked up by Wei Fang's mum. Before that though, Wei Fang and Shy Yan had some errands to run. Wei Fang had to go up Prangin Mall to do his, and being a lazy ass, I decided to tag along with Shy Yan and Ee Wen. But as it turned out, she had to pick up her contact lenses and the shop was around the block. I am not complaining though, as there was quite a strong hair raising breeze.

At the shop, we had to wait for the contacts to be brought out. And both the girls took this opportunity to comment that I look like (young) Harry Potter. Just when I thought it was behind me...(Bangs head on wall).

Task completed, we headed back to meet Wei Fang. He was already waiting when we arrived at the rendezvous, and his mum was already on the way. She will send us back to the C Gate of Chung Ling High School where I will hopefully get a ride somehow. As it turns out, my victim was Shy Yan as we technically live on the same street, 'technically' being the operative word since I lived on one end while she lived on the other.

All in all, it was an eventful and interesting day, hell seeing Wei Fang, Shy Yan and Ee Wen cower in fear of Ju Ping's dog was already worth the price of involvement ;).

No comments: