Friday, August 04, 2006

Inspiration

Ever since last year, my skills in creative writing have steadily gone downhill. Of course I don't mean my normal essay writing, but it's my skill in genres like poetry and prose that has atrophied. One look at the blogs of my fellow bloggers Ju Ping and Kee Wai's blogs (see, repitative use of various forms of the word 'blog', a sign of lack of creativity) would confirm my distinct lack of variation.

Anyhow, I don't feel it's more of a lack of ability on my part than a lack of a muse to unlock that latent talent. It doesn't even need to be human. During my most productive period, if you can call it that, I was on an emotional rollercoaster. Fueled by everything from angst to rage to love to hate, my works were huge in quantity if not in quality. Even today, whenever I look at my works, I can't help but cringe a little. There were a few funny ones, but in general they suck.

Having said that, I feel that those were more of a false peak. Surely I can't be limited to such drivel. In short I just need a trigger. And in recent weeks, I believe I am getting close. A lot of frustration has been building up, along with some passion. But the sad thing is, the source of all this, probably won't appreciate whatever that I might produce.

Anyway, if any of you guys have any good ideas for a story or poem, please be kind enough to share it with me.

1 comment:

Rewarp said...

You know, a good motivation for writing absorbing, witty and funny articles is to write with the thought of impressing a girl.
Not implying anything, just a suggestion.