Monday, August 21, 2006

Necessary evil

As I am writing this, my body is quivering from sheer fatigue, both mental and physical. My comrades in the Sixth Form of Chung Ling High School would have just completed our first test since reentering our school. This is also the main excuse for the drop in my blogging activity for the past week or so.

I must say, it is an entirely different feeling from any previous test. For starters, instead of the whole gamut of subjects that we have to take previously, we now have a scant five to occupy ourselves with. This is not to say it will be easier though, far from it. I don't know what's it with the teachers, but from the moment we stepped into Form 6, they were drumming into us how hard it is, talk about negative programming. Consequently, we were already quivering in our shoes at the prospect of the test.

Nevertheless, I still couldn't muster enough motivation to have a go at it, especially after what happened in my last post. Thus, I was resigned to getting my ass handed to me by this big ass test. Being a masochist who enjoys embarassment, I am going to give a subject by subject account of my ass being whupped.

Day 1 Pengajian Am(PA aka Pain in the Ass)
To be honest, this paper is kind of similar to History in some sections, just with more propaganda thrown in. Unfortunately, it also inflicts the same kind of boredom as its brethren. Needless to say, I have been less than enthusiastic when it comes to revising for it, just enough to complete whatever that will be tested. I was quite nervous just before the exam, having visualised all the mental torture my mind will have to undergo, after all if you are going to own someone, you might as well do it from the beginning right? Boy, was I wrong. I didn't bring my calculator and I had to do the sums the old-fashioned way, by pen and paper, and still had at least 15 minutes left. ANd like any sensible student I used the spare time wisely, namely by writing a poem, a really really short one which sums up perfectly the situation I have found myself in:
Tests - a futile battle
You think you know the answer,
But it really is just an illusion,
Just when you think you are better,
It easily reveals your wrong assumption. <(Ju Ping, I think you will agree with this part, if you are reading this)

You think you are filled with knowledge,
But the test results tell otherwise, <(I sure as hell would agree with this, after today)
Just when you think you have gained an edge,
It says you are better off making a peace treatise.

Looking back at this, it sure is remarkably transcient, especially since both the events in brackets happened today, five days AFTER this has been written chucked into my file.

Day 2 Chemistry (for disaster)
Chem is not a kind subject to me, to put it bluntly. I just don't get it, plain and simple. The test itself was uneventful. No poems this time unfortunately, as I was struggling for time.

Day 3 Mathematics
This should rank as one of the biggest anticlimaxes of all time. I came into this expecting a big can of whup ass to be opened and came away feeling like the can was just a size small, and expired. It wasn't hard at all, some parts might be tricky but still doable. The only obstacle was time, as I couldn't finish a question.

Day 4 MUET(fancy term for the English we take)
This was always going to be a cakewalk, since no way am I going to allow anything but a resounding success. I was proven right as the cloze test was only tricky when you have to sieve through the jumble of possible answers. The summary was quite confusing at first, since we had to summarise TWO passages into a single summary, which was totally alien to me. But first appearances are deceiving and I managed to finish comfortably with 15 minutes to spare.

Day 5 Physics
Ahhh, the final day, and the last but definitely not least paper, Physics. This was the day I dreaded the most. Physics has always been a persistent pain in the ass for me, but I have always managed to scrape through with a pass, and on the one or two occasions I failed it was always close. There was to be no such respite today though, as there was no hope left at all after the dust has settled. In the past there has always been a glimmer of hope that I might pass, no matter how badly i thought I did, but not this time. In one fell swoop, all hope was dashed. The paper had me under the cosh right from the start, never letting up its assault on my brain.

That's all for this post, as I am dead tired.

No comments: