Sunday, July 24, 2011

Kenyan Style

I was forced to take a break from training for more than a week due to sickness and some leftover malaise and I gotta be honest, coming back was hard. Physically, my body just felt tired but the damage was worse mentally. I found it easier to say 'not today' and keep pushing training off. I finally mustered enough gumption to step into the gym yesterday, and it wasn't pretty. I could barely do a couple of miles, never mind the long run I originally intended. The pace was anything but hot too.

After pulling the plug on that torture, I resolved to train hard, in the morning bla bla bla. Well, morning came, I got up and my inner couch potato was up to no good again. And that's despite it being absolutely beautiful running weather outside. It was already 9 but the sunshine was just warm enough with no trace of haze, since it rained the night before there was a really cool breeze too. With an epic inner struggle, I reminded myself of something I read somewhere, Kenyans tend to do their second daily run just before 10am. Living in Malaysia, that won't be possible most of the time, so I better grab this opportunity to emulate them. That sealed the deal, or maybe I embarrassed the inner couch potato too much with my half assed excuse, either way I was running on a nice grassy field with the wind in my hair. Ok, I lied, the field was crap and filled with ruts and roots and that breezy feeling lasted barely 2 laps before I struggled. 6 laps in, I was ready to throw in the towel. Somehow, I lied some more to myself and managed to sneak in a fartlek for the next few laps. All in all, I can't complain much, a bit more money in the bank.

No comments: