Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Medium Moderate Run

After taking yesterday off, albeit with some regret, I geared up to tackle week 2 of my training.

*thanks to blogger being such a bitch, I lost the whole post, so here's a summary*

Went down the the gardens to do 16 laps. The target pace was an easier 1st half and then try to push a bit if I still had energy. Ah Yeoh was the pacer of the day so I thankfully didn't have to run alone. The first half more or less went according to plan, the pace being slightly slower than last Friday's run. Credit to Yeoh for sticking with me till 10 or 11 laps, but the last few laps were in danger of becoming a lonely death march for me too.

I didn't really feel the onset of crashing, at least not the usual kind. Instead of rebelling legs and robot-like form, I felt like a vise was tightening around my chest. As for the running form, I would probably be like a car gradually crumbling. I couldn't do much breathing-wise, but I did consciously tell myself to tidy up the form with cues. Despite my efforts, the discomfort reached a nadir 4 laps from the end and I really felt like throwing in the towel. The old me would have quit, or indeed he might never have made it that far. Some unseen force pushed me on past the hurt. Maybe that's the heart of the real Peter the runner? Whatever it is, I hope it's not going to make only cameo appearances.

The vise on my chest didn't let up, but that didn't stop me from trying to surge at the end, though it was nothing to write home about. All in all, I can't complain much as I did accomplish what I set out to do. Many thanks to Ah Yeoh too for running with me.

No comments: