Monday, July 04, 2011

Today My (Marathon) Life Begins

Echoing the Bruno Mars song, today marks the beginning of my training as a marathoner. I actually planned to start yesterday, but the haze gave me another reason to rest my sore right foot and clear any straggling phlegm, both battle scars from the KL marathon 21k. Besides, Mondays on the training plan I am following are marked rest or cross training anyway.

With a fresh beginning in mind, I went to bed early, at least by my standards. I enthusiastically woke up at 6, to find... even heavier haze. The haze this year sure picked an excellent time to show up, exactly on the day I intend to start marathon training. I guess this is an early test of my resolve and determination. I simply cannot falter at this early hurdle. Faced with such difficult and potentially harmful running conditions, I chose a lesser evil, the treadmill. At least the boredom should foster mental strength.

Day 1 (Treadmill)
13k, 57 minutes
10x100m strides
Shoes: Brooks Launch

The plan for the day way to do get some general aerobic work in along with some speed, aka 8 miles and 10 100m strides. The main run should not be a jog while not being a hard workout. Hmmm, tricky. I started out at 13.2kph. Since I get bored easily on the treadmill, I decided to increase the pace 0.2kph every 10 minutes. To distract myself further, I used the full length mirror in front of me to admire my dashing good looks adjust my form and try to infuriate myself further by counting my stride rate every 12 minutes (yea, random number) or so.

Towards the end, the pace was around my half marathon pace, certainly too fast according to the plan as anything higher than 90% of marathon pace would be considered specific work or some other mumbo-jumbo. I guess my starting pace would be too fast too going by that rationale, but any slower would require me to plod. Well, maybe the relative ease of treadmill running would compensate somewhat. I think it would be better for me to just focus on relaxing no matter the pace.

After taking a short breather, I proceeded to the speed portion. Now, if the stupid haze didn't show up, I would be doing the strides on a grass field somewhere, with the wind in my hair and maybe monkeys and hot chicks and spectators (ahem). Instead, I have the treadmill motor blowing hot air, thankfully not on my face, and trying not to do a faceplant to occupy myself. All this while hearing some disconcerting roar from the motor whenever I dial the treadmill to the stride speed. After experiencing a passing imitation of food blender and the accompanying sound effects at the top speed of 20kph, I decided perhaps it would be unwise to subject the 'mill to 10 rounds of that. Of course, it would be better to start gradually too, so I started the first set at 18kph and proceeded to ramp up each rep.

Overall, it's a pretty solid start. I really hope I can stay the course for these 20 weeks. Perhaps I won't turn in an underwhelming performance for once.

No comments: