Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Burning up the roads, but in a bad way: Day 15

Today's workout was my first since setting foot on Penang. It was pertinent that I get back to training ASAP, and not just because of all the lack of sleep, secondhand smoke and diet I had to endure in Medan. I managed to sign up for a race just before I boarded my flight to Medan and that race happened to be the most grueling track event, the #@$$%#@ boring and long and #$%$ nausea and snore inducing 10000m. To top it all off, that race will be on Friday afternoon. Oh wait, I forgot one more thing. It seems that someone decided to turn up the heat all over Malaysia while I was gone! Something tells me the race will be a world of hurt...

Day 15 (Jesselton)
Run to Youth Park
Jog to Jesselton
6 laps of Jesselton loop, alternating stride-float stretches (essentially 12x ~250m strides with equal distance jog recovery)
Jog back
Shoes: Brooks T5

I wanted to use this as a rust buster and planned to go relaxed. The heat wave didn't feel like a big problem when I left the house. In fact it wasn't sunny at all. But appearances truly are deceiving. Despite the downcast skies, I was already sweating profusely at the start of the main work out.

Anyway, the areas I focused on are trying to run fast while being relaxed. I think I managed to do that up till the last loop, despite having the pace ramped up mercilessly by people old enough to be my father. As it is, my legs are fine though the old aches and pains are creeping in again. Having said that, I have no doubt that my upcoming race will be in another realm of hurt altogether if the weather doesn't cool down.

No comments: