Monday, May 16, 2011

Fartlek in the Rain, Day 19

I woke up (late, again) to news of the passing of Samuel Wanjiru, the reigning Olympic marathon champ. This left me in shock, he was not yet 25. Although Haile is the biggest (and probably only) name in marathoning for most people, Wanjiru is a hero to me for his absolutely fearless way of racing. I am going to try to adopt that fearlessness in my own running.

Day 19 (Botanical Gardens)
Run to Youth Park (warm up)
1hr fartlek (moderate) (last stretch back from Gardens: 3.51)
Shoes: Brooks Launch (older)

After yesterday's tough and long treadmill session, I was kinda hoping for a more relaxed pace today. Despite Kang saying that would be the case, the reality couldn't be further away. The pack was splintered time and again but the repeated trips to the hilly parts of the Gardens. It might partly be due to yesterday's workout, but I was really hurting. Halfway through, it even started to rain. Still, I kept thinking of how Wanjiru would hang tough and gutted through the pain. When it came down to the final stretch, I really turned on the jets, or so I thought. My watch told me a different story. Nevertheless, it was still a solid session and I am glad for it.

No comments: